This Chocolate Gelato dessert will impress your friends. You can also be creative and experiment with different flavors when you get the basic Italian gelato-making technique. You can experiment and try out different ideas for recipes such as cinnamon gelato, chocolate raspberry gelato, and blueberry.
Gelato is the Italian word for ice cream and it is made with milk, cream, various sugars, and flavorings such as fresh fruit and nut purees.
The only country where the market share of handmade gelato versus industrial one is over 55% is Italy.
The Difference Between Gelato And Ice Cream
Even if you look and taste similar to you there is a difference between both. For example, gelato is served 10-15 degrees warmer than ice cream and it has an intense flavor, creamy, and has less butterfat. It is using whole milk instead of cream.
Gelato and ice cream are using sugar, fat, and water but the proportion of these ingredients is different.
- Medium saucepan
- Medium bowl
- Ice cream maker
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 cup whole milk divided
- 5 oz semisweet
- chocolate finely chopped
- ½ cup heavy cream
- pinch of salt
- Over low heat in a medium saucepan, whisk together the cornstarch, sugar, and salt until you get a blended mixture.
- Add slowly just 1/4 of the milk and continue whisking to mix it well then rest the rest of the milk.
- Boil it over medium heat for about 1 minute and then remove it from the heat.
- Add chocolate and let it sit for a few minutes till the chocolate melts completely.
- Use a medium bowl to transfer the mixture. Add the cream and mix.
- Cover the bowl and leave it overnight in the refrigerator or at least for a few hours.
- Use an ice cream maker to freeze the mixture and then transfer it to an air-tight container and freeze for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Leave it for about 5 minutes before serving at a room temperature to soften.
Nutritional information should be considered an estimate only; please always consult with a nutritionist, a registered dietician or your physician for any specific health-related questions.
It is always better for your health to use clean ingredients if possible organic – with no pesticides, antibiotics and hormones.
Chocolate Gelato recipe FAQ’s
An average a chocolate gelato can have around 240 calories.
In general, we could call gelato ‘healthier’ compare to ice cream because it has lower fat content, less sugar, and fewer calories per serving than ice cream.
There are several reasons for gelato melting such as using too much sugar, very low-fat mixes, not using the optimal emulsifier. You can use stabilizers to help reduce melting rate.
Traditional gelato dessert is served by using a typical gelato spatula instead an ice cream scoop.
Gelato can be kept in your refrigerator, but it will last longer when you store it in a freezer.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @tastybg_on Instagram and hashtag it #tastybg.