This is easy to make, fresh, and nourishing Greek lemon chicken soup recipe! It takes just 55 minutes to make from start to finish.
It is a great way to warm yourself, especially on winter cold days but it is popular all over the year. it is one of the most popular soups in Greece.
The traditional Greek Lemon Chicken Soup is called Avgolemono and it is made with rice, chicken, eggs, vegetables, lemon, and fresh herbs.
Greek lemon chicken soup
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup uncooked quinoa
- salt and pepper
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- fresh dill chopped
- shredded roasted chicken optional)
- In a saucepan add the broth and bring it to a boil.
- Add the quinoa and cook until tender.
- You can season with the pepper and salt and reduce the heat to low and let simmer.
- Use a separate bowl to whisk the eggs with lemon juice until smooth.
- Into the ready egg/lemon mixture add about 1 cup of the hot broth and whisk to combine.
- Then add the mixture back to the saucepan and stir until the soup becomes thickens and opaque.
- You can add salt and pepper to taste, dill, and chicken if you prefer and serve.
Nutritional information should be considered an estimate only; please always consult with a nutritionist, a registered dietician or your physician for any specific health-related questions.
It is always better for your health to use clean ingredients if possible organic – with no pesticides, antibiotics and hormones.