Falafel is a traditional Middle Eastern food, a deep-fried ball made from ground chickpeas or fava beans commonly served in a pita.
Egyptian cooking uses fava beans to make falafel and often has a vibrant green color, while those cooked with chickpeas is characteristic of Lebanese and Palestinian cuisine.
As an alternative to meat-based foods, this chickpeas-based food has become popular among vegetarians and vegans.
Authentic Falafel Recipe
- Food processor
- Cutting board
- Large bowl
- Sharp knife
- A medium saucepan
For Falafel balls
- 1¼ cups dried chickpeas (soaked overnight and drained well)
- ½ cup onion (finely chopped)
- 1 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 2 tbsp cilantro (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp flat-leaf parsley (finely chopped)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 tbsp water (filtered or distilled )
- 1½ tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 cups sunflower oil (for frying)
- ½ tsp sesame seeds (for sprinkling)
- ¾ tsp salt
For Tahini sauce
- ⅔ cup tahini paste
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- ¼ tsp salt
- pita bread pockets
- Finely chop using a food processor the chickpeas, garlic, onion, parsley, and cilantro. Use the pulse function for 30-40 seconds but do not hold too long otherwise it will become pasty.
- Now you can add the baking powder, flour, spices, salt and water. Transfer it into a bowl and use your hands to mix. When the mixture is smooth, you can cover the bowl and leave it in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, heat half of the oil. You can use also airfryer or bake them in the oven.
- Make sure your hands are wet and for balls from the mixture. You can use 1 tbsp of the mixture per ball.
- You can roll the ball into the sesame seeds or just sprincle on top and then fry the ball for about 4 mins or till became brown.
- Use a paper towel to drain any extra oil from the falafel balls.
- First stir the tahini paste.
- Then transfer the paste into a mixing bowl and add the garlic, water, salt and lemon juice.
- Continue to stir until you get a thick sauce.
- You can transfer it into a jar and store it in the fridge for up to a week.
Nutritional information should be considered an estimate only; please always consult with a nutritionist, a registered dietician or your physician for any specific health-related questions.
It is always better for your health to use clean ingredients if possible organic – with no pesticides, antibiotics and hormones.
Authentic Falafel recipe FAQ’s
In large bowl add baking soda and cover the chickpeas with plenty of water and to help soften them and leave them for 24 hours.
A single falafel ball has about 57 calories but when combined in wraps or sandwiches with tahini sauces, hummus, and pita bread, the calories increase tremendously.
It is vegan because doesn’t use egg, meat, dairy milk, or any other animal products. It became popular among both vegan and vegetarians as an alternative to meat-based foods.
If you use canned or cooked chickpea you’ll notice that they have less chickpeas flavor compare to dried.