Matbucha is a Maghrebi dish of cooked roasted bell peppers and tomatoes and seasoned with garlic and chili pepper.
Matbucha is popular across the Maghreb and in Israel. It may be used as a base for an assortment of dishes including shakshuka, tagine, and kofta.
- Small pot
- Large bowl
- Frying pan pan
- Slotted spoon
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 lbs fresh tomatoes (any variety works)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 long spicy peppers
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 tbsp white wine
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ lemon
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Put the peppers on a hot grill or directly on the flame of a gas burner. Rotate until charred on all sides. Transfer to a bowl and cover to let steam. When cool, peel and core the peppers.
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Cut a thin x on the bottom of the tomatoes and plunge into boiling water for a minute. Remove with a slotted spoon and cool in water. When cool, peel skin.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Roughly chop the tomatoes and both peppers, add them to the pan with the garlic and add wine, coriander, cumin, paprika and salt.
- Cook slowly stirring uncovered for about 20 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed. Squeeze the lemon and sprinkle with cilantro. Enjoy.
Nutritional information should be considered an estimate only; please always consult with a nutritionist, a registered dietician or your physician for any specific health-related questions.
It is always better for your health to use clean ingredients if possible organic – with no pesticides, antibiotics and hormones.
Matbucha recipe FAQ’s
Matbucha is a Moroccan dish popular in some areas of the Middle East and Israel. It is served as a side-dish or in some areas as a salad.
Usually accompanied by potatoes, bread, or rice, the sauce can be served cold or hot.
You can use it in many different ways such as fresh pita bread, add it to an omelet, or with eggs, with your pizza or as a pasta sauce.
Yes, you can freeze it in a silicon pouch or air tight containers.
To keep it fresh in the fridge for a longer period of time and adding a thin layer of olive oil helps to keep it for about a week to 10 days.